Anger is such a strong emotion to deal with. When we see red, there is no other color that we recognize. Anger blinds one to everything else around. There is a strong burst from within that crosses every barrier. There is a strong need for the anger to come up to the surface. Anger brings about a change in the person that may make a person look totally different.
Some take time to get angry. But when they do get angry, then there is nothing that can stop them from expressing this emotion to the fullest. Some are short tempered and it is the small things that make them angry very soon. They will get angry quickly but calm down as quickly as well. When anger strikes, no one would want to be in the line of it.
Is anger a reaction to a behavior that one does not approve of based on one’s standards, ideologies and beliefs? Or is it an extended reaction to the helplessness felt when one cannot achieve what one wants to or has missed opportunities to have what one wants to have? Anger can come out from grief, sorrow, pain or frustration. The fear of being hurt, rejected, humiliated, ostracized, refused, ridiculed all can lead to the expression of anger. Every angry man however, will agree that we become slaves to our anger. It rules and controls us and not the other way round. The only way to become its master would be to take charge and control.
Simple ways to deal with anger:
- Yes, taking a deep breath or deep breaths and pausing before speaking helps. Deep breathing helps to focus and center. This exercise will prove to be helpful to regain your lost composure and make you aware of what you say.
- Tell the person before you’re angry before you actually start getting angry. This will give them the choice to either walk away or try to understand the seriousness of the situation.
- Write anger letters where in you vomit out on paper all that makes you angry and then get rid of it by tearing it or burning it. This is like a process of detoxification. Once it is out, you will feel much better.
- Talk to your friends so that you can vent and feel better. Your friends will understand that you may not mean what you say, but are just letting off steam. After you feel better, your friend and you can also frantically make two jokes about the situation.
- Looking at yourself in the mirror when you get angry is one of the best ways to reduce your anger. No one wants to look ugly and silly. Anger contorts the face, makes your jaw jut out, and gives a cold or a scary appearance to the face which is very uncomfortable to look at especially if it is your own.
Besides these simple to follow tips, you need to be aware that if you are getting increasingly angry with the whole situation, then you need to move out of there. Sports might bring out the competitive spirit in you and provide a channel which can be utilized further. Resorting humor into your life will also be helpful, after all the best way to solve a problem, is to laugh at it, right? The more you are surrounded by people who laugh and are jovial, the more away from anger you will be. Listen to music which is soothing, melodious and relaxing. Meditation calms the mind and brings about a sense of peace, focus and centering. This reduces any state of aggravation and keeps a person well in control of his emotions.
When anger gets out of hand, it does a lot of damage. What has taken years to build can be brought down by a single blow. Only you can control and be the master of your emotions. Nothing will stop you then let things make a difference to you in that extent.
Over to you…